Sunday, August 29, 2010

Goodbyes

I have decided that goodbyes and I have a bit of a love-hate relationship. Let me explain: I have worked at a summer camp for the last three months and yesterday we finished up completely.  Now, the camp that I work at is in another province from where I live and thus I will rarely get to see the people I spent the last three months getting close to. Yesterday was therefore a bittersweet day. I had to say goodbye to some of my best friends while also saying goodbye to some people I don't think I will ever actually miss. I hated saying goodbye to my close friends. I always started crying, and most of the time it wasn't just a couple tears leaking out of my eyes, it was full out sobbing. I'm not usually a cryer so that's not normal for me. We all promise that we are going to stay in touch, but once each of us become immersed in our lives at home and at school it's so hard to stay connected to people far away. It's like once we leave camp all our common ground falls away leaving a couple lone strangers trying to reach each other but it's just a bit too far. Why does that happen? Is it just me? Am I dysfunctional when it comes to normal social relationships? How come some people can never see each other yet remain best of friends? What makes it so impossible for me to stay close to people that are not physically close to me?
Even though goodbyes suck it does help me come to realize who I was actually close to. Who do I actually miss and who actually misses me. Who do I try to stay in contact with and who actually tries to stay in contact with me. Those are the people that I am truly close to and who I truly care about. The hard part is that I want to stay close to those people and I hate the thought that we may fall away from each other. Why is friendship so difficult? Shouldn't real friendship be able to last through goodbyes, no matter how long those goodbyes last? I guess I'll have to wait and see as this year progresses.

No comments:

Post a Comment